My creativity is MIA this summer. I’m just exhausted, mentally and physically, plus having pain flares. Lyme Disease messed up my joints and a typical day includes some mild pain at some point, but it got so bad a couple of weeks ago I went to see my rheumatologist, who ordered loads of labwork that all came back perfectly normal. Never mind I do a couple of errands and fall into a coma-like sleep as soon as I’m home. Perfectly normal! Anyway, I haven’t painted or sketched or played with fabric creatively in a long while. But I hate the feeling of not being at all productive, so when I’m feeling like this, it’s a good time to turn to garment sewing. Following a pattern is like doing math problems; I don’t need to be creative, I just need to follow directions.
I started with a second Seneca skirt, using Cloud 9 knit. I love this style of skirt and love this pattern. The first one I sewed is a bit heavier knit; the Cloud 9 is nice for hot days.
Then the Washi dress, which I’ve looked at before and thought it wouldn’t work for my figure. Actually, it works quite well. This is sewn from Cotton + Steel and it’s so, so soft.
I’ve had the Gallery Tunic pattern since before we moved to Maryland. I’ve even had the fabric. When I first printed out the pattern and taped it together, I was so aggravated just from that process that I set it aside. Since then, I’ve upped my sewing skills through sewing for my daughter, and I’ve found a copy shop that prints the wide-format files. Two years and much sewing after first buying the pattern, this shirt was easy to put together. I think I might make another one.
You don’t get a modeled photo of this shirt because even though it’s a very lightweight fabric, it’s too hot to wear anything with longer-than-short sleeves.
I also tackled the Zinnia skirt, one of my stash of Colette/Seamwork patterns, using chambray. This was my second garment with an invisible zipper and it went in easy as anything. I really need a better picture of this skirt, as it’s adorable. This was taken in the basement in the midst of air conditioner repairs, after it had leaked (hence the mess and the towels on the floor). Happy to report the AC is fixed now, basically a full replacement inside and out, and luckily the closing came with a home warranty so it was for a fraction of the full cost.
I think this was the point at which I sewed my daughter two pairs of shorts, one using left over chambray from this skirt, but I don’t have pictures. I make her shorts every year, but I don’t seem to take pictures of them.
I bought two yards of Cotton + Steel canvas when I went to check out Domesticity, a new fabric store in Baltimore, so I used some more Seamwork credits and sewed the Seabrook pattern. It’s an adorable little bag and I do love banging in grommets.
At this point I temporarily ran out of garments to sew (no worries, I now have another Washi cut out and waiting to be sewn), so I began sewing together strips of scraps for something to do. At the end, I had a quilt, which will go to my quilt guild’s collection for a local Head Start program.
At that point I switched over to some knitting. I’m still waiting for my creativity to revive but at least I’m being productive.