These small pieces are perfect for practicing or trying new things, and that’s what this week’s was mostly about. It began with one of my hand-carved stamps printed on linen, with the intention of tracing the labyrinth with metallic red thread. I learned that metallic thread isn’t worth the trouble–it kept breaking. Perhaps there’s some trick to it that I don’t know. Then I spent a while picking what felt like foil stitches out so I could start over with normal thread in a different color. I chose blue because I had matching backing fabric, and it was still bright. So, my free-motion stitching has gotten much, much better (I’ve been practicing; those pieces are all on Instagram), although I still need work on handwriting, so I added some words.
I always hand-stitch binding onto the back, but I decided to try machine stitching it. Ugh. I do not like that nearly as much. I’m not good at stitching in the ditch, which is part of it, but also I don’t like how I couldn’t control the neatness on the back like I can while hand-stitching. Good to know. If I make a quilt that I think needs machine stitching on the binding, I’m going to have to practice. In the meantime though, I so prefer hand-stitching, both doing it and the look of the final result.
Since this is the tenth week, I decided to photograph the quiltlets thus far all together. On a wrinkly white sheet of course.
At the very least, I’ve kept it up for ten weeks in a row. And skills are improving, and it’s still fun. So, one-fifth (more or less) of the way through the year, this is still working for me.